SACC - INTEGRATED NUTRITION AND WELLNESS
SUPERHEROES AGAINST CHILDHOOD CANCER
Integrated Nutrition and Wellness
Superheroes Against Childhood Cancer (SACC), Jacob’s Heart’s nutrition and wellness program, was created to strengthen and empower children with cancer and their families during treatment. SACC is designed to help children not only win the cancer battle, but also increase their quality of life during and after treatment. The program provides nutrition education, wellness strategies and integrated oncologist-approved strategies.
ABOUT THE CANCER BATTLE | WHY NUTRITION IS IMPORTANT
More and more superheroes are winning their battle against childhood cancer, but the war is not yet won.
Many childhood cancer survivors can face other chronic illnesses and complications after treatment. Treatments that help cure children with cancer may also increase the risk of developing other illnesses and health conditions. Some of these conditions can be lifelong, increase with age and can even shorten a child’s life span. Nutrition and full-body wellness are keys to good health and may help reduce the chance of complications during and after treatment.
DID YOU KNOW?
- The goal of nutrition during cancer treatment is to help your child feel strong and empowered.
- At various stages of treatment, the body’s nutritional needs can change. For example, while in treatment, your child may need one type of nutrition. After finishing treatment, the needs may be different.
- Offering healthy foods gives you an opportunity to nourish your child during treatment.
- Good nutrition helps promote the regeneration of new cell growth, which may be helpful during cancer treatment.
- Cancer treatments can be more effective and side effects are more manageable when your child is well hydrated and well nourished.
- A strong nutritional plan supports immune system strength, recovery and resilience.
NUTRITION AND WELLNESS BASICS
- Keep it simple
- Do the best you can
- Relax and take a deep breath
- Serve three square meals, or six mini meals
- Encourage your child to eat small portions if their appetite is weak or weight loss is a goal
- Prepare a shopping list for a three-day meal plan
- Keep superhero foods on hand
- Ask for and accept help
Fresh and unprocessed, Superhero Foods nourish and strengthen your child’s body. Choose foods that offer the greatest number of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, proteins and fiber. Click here for a list.
Good nutrition during treatment is not a cure. Nutrition is one of the many tools to support your child during the cancer journey.
COOKING CLASSES *
Let’s Make Smoothies
Kid Friendly Salads
Healthy Mexican Soup
Superhero Bone Broth
NUTRITION CLASSES *
The Basics: Food Matters
* Classes coming soon. Check back for details.
Sign up to receive emails from Jacob’s Heart.