During the holiday season of 2016 Jacob’s Heart served more families than ever before. We supported 125 local families of children with cancer and other life-limiting disease. We welcomed families of other life-threatening disease conditions to our circle of care. For some of these families, it will be the last holiday together. For all of them, the struggles of managing cancer of another serious, life-limiting illness is overwhelming.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see how Adopt-a-Family brought joy to local families this past holiday season (2016).
How Adopt-a-Family works:
1) Make a small donation of $25 – $50 to send a gift card to a family for a holiday meal or a special gift. This is nice for dinner out for exhausted parents or to buy a family holiday meal.
- $150 to adopt a child with cancer or another life-threatening illness and his/her parent(s) for the holidays,
- $200 for a family of 2 or 3, or
- $500 for family of 4 or more.
We’ll find out your adopted family’s preferences, shop for them and send information along with a thank you note from the family. Please indicate Adopt-a-Family when you donate. Thank you!
3) Adopt-a-Family and shop for their gifts. We will provide a gift wish list for each member of the family with their names, sizes and ages.
Call 831-724-9100 or email [email protected] to adopt and shop.
Contact us and we will send you a family wish list.
And, you can shop online and your gifts will be delivered to Jacob’s Heart, personally wrapped by our volunteers and then delivered directly to children and families at home or in the hospital.
Click on the Target gift registry link to shop for children with cancer and their siblings:
Or, shop on your own and deliver gifts to Jacob’s Heart. Contact us and we will send you a family wishlist.
We’re currently in need of the following items for our families over the holidays:
Diapers – all sizes
Gas and grocery gift cards
Blenders (new only!) for youth healthy cooking classes. We have special recipes to teach the children and their siblings to prepare healthy soups, salsas and smoothies. Go to our Amazon gift registry.
Target, Sears and K-Mart gift cards ($25 or $50) for teens with cancer or teen siblings
Restaurant gift cards so that exhausted parents can have a night out (local Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Benito or South Santa Clara restaurants or chain restaurants)
New spa robes for parents during long hospital stays and to use at Jacob’s Heart’s Camp Heart + Hands. (Target gift registry and Amazon Gift Registry).
Please call Daisy at 831-724-9100 or email: [email protected] if you’d like to adopt a family (or 10 families).
Click here to read a touching Adopt-a-Family story from Baby Matthew’s mom.
- Jacob’s Heart volunteers will make every effort to provide you with a wish list for each member of your adopted family by November 15th to give you plenty of time to shop.
- Please have gifts ready for delivery to the Jacob’s Heart Family Center during the week of December 5th – December 9th.
Please let us know if you would be willing to deliver the gifts directly to your family; in some cases, we can arrange a home or hospital delivery. As you know, situations change daily for children with cancer, and we appreciate your flexibility and care with family privacy medical conditions.
Our children are treated at Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital at Stanford or UCSF Medical Center, so your help with a hospital delivery would be most appreciated if your adopted family has to spend the holidays in the hospital.
We can’t thank you enough for your kind heart and caring support. May these holidays be truly blessed.